He and His Comment


            He wrote a stereotyped comment at his social media account after the CDO blast last July 26, 2013 Friday. And in this article, I choose not to mention his name. By mentioning his name, the hurt (or condemnation by some) is not solely directed to him but it may as well affect his family and close friends who know him very well. And I don’t want to inflict other people here. Like what a learned scholar in Islam said, condemn the bad action but not the person itself. He accused Muslims of being behind the bombing that killed eight people. He even mentioned of Muslims having “asal-baboy” and calling them terrorists. Muslims being discriminated and called terrorists started after the 9/11 incident which the whole world is aware of. Although the blast is not as big as 9/11, it still created a fuss.

            Mufti Ismail Ibn Musa Menk (Mufti of Zimbabwe) once wrote in his official Facebook page: “Find goodness in every person to appreciate him and find weaknesses within yourself to improve them.” Reality is I don’t know him. I don’t know what type of personality he has, what character he possess, what values he has. I don’t know if all in his entire life, he has been bad and that a comprehensive review of his life would reveal a multitude of sins and unacceptable acts. My lack of interaction of him does not grant me the right to judge him.  What I am sure of is he once in his life has been good and nice because he too is a human being. And having good deeds and so as bad deeds is not mutually exclusive to a believer of a particular faith e.g. Muslims. This is why we are advised to ask forgiveness from ALLAH (swt) and repent.

            He’s been bashed. But I refuse to bash him and try to refute his statement. When I first read his posts which was now somewhere around Facebook, I intended not to react the way most people did. Yes, he was stereotyping Muslims. But if we examine his position, it will lead us to understand that he knows nothing at all about Islam and if ever he did have limited information, those might be from his observations to people who brand themselves Muslim. Because if he has the (correct) knowledge, he wouldn’t have written that. If I were to talk to him face to face, I would not curse him at face and resort to physical measures. His lack of knowledge does not give me the right to become unpleasant to him. At this point, I have to mention my previous post in my Facebook: “Not because someone has wronged you, you too should do the same…”

            He actually asked for forgiveness through his Facebook page. He wrote: “Good evening everyone. If i have offended my Muslim brothers and sisters, I sincerely apologize for the comment i made after the CDO explosion. That was an irresponsible and uncalled for. I really did not meant, I was carried away by my emotions, added that i was still having a bad hangover when I tweeted that comment. I was in the near the vicinity when the explosion occurred. I really am very sorry for that comment. I was not thinking of the effect it might cause. I hope you can find in your hearts to forgive me.” [July 27, 2013]

            I admire him for being honest, for actually writing his full name with middle initial in his “Sorry” post, for admitting his mistake and for actually trying to correct it. Now, he’s reaping what he sow. He got terminated from his job because accordingly his action compromised his work ethics as a staff nurse. Too sad that a mere post bore from intense emotions resulted to loss of job. Okay, maybe he deserved it. What I cannot stand is reading a statement wanting more harm and difficulty be inflicted unto him! Now I have a question and I wish a learned Muslim who might be able to read this would enlighten me on this aspect. “When should one stop causing harm to a non-believer who accordingly inflicted harm to Muslims in general by a mere post in social networking sites and who after sometime asked for forgiveness?” I am sure he is in a difficult situation right now. Who wouldn’t? You have haters in social networking sites or even in person, plus you lost your job. But is it rightful to wish him receive more harm and much more difficulty in life? Please enlighten me…

            REFLECT: He used foul language, but didn’t we use it too in some point of our life? I even had a chance to read a “bad” post in my newsfeed. He stereotyped, but didn’t we do it also sometimes? Maybe you may never had posted it in your social media accounts or declared it in public, but are you sure you never see or thought of people with remnants of stereotyping? He got carried away by emotions, but tell me if you never experienced that same thing. Tell me if you never regretted to have said something awful when your emotions were at its peak. He admitted his mistake and asked sorry, did you ever admit your mistake and ask sorry for it?

            I still stand to what I have mentioned before in my Facebook account. If I would have talked to him, I would like to offer him kind words instead of resorting to foul language. May Allah grant him understanding. May Allah grant us understanding too. May we all find peace of mind in every aspect of our lives. #CRD
            

Comments

Popular Posts