DC is where it all began

An old FB post that mystically appeared in my FB newsfeed today.
Dansalan College Foundation Inc.or simply DC.
It's the name of my high school where my academic pursuit probably began. I wasn't much of an excellent student then, needless to mention, I was more of the average high schooler. I wasn't top of my class and there's bunch of students who are smarter and privileged than I was. And I survived my exams and homeworks through copying. This must remain between you and me only. It's a private Christian school but almost all of its students are Meranao-Muslims, you can count Christian students by your fingers probably. Other may not agree but I believe this is my town's best secondary institution. Why wouldn't I? People in my town who are successful in their field may it be in law, medicine, politics, or business went to this school. There is always a living example how this school is able to transform students to become agents of change. Chos!

The curriculum isn't unique since it follows the Revised Basic Education Curriculum (RBEC) like most schools in the country. So we weren't science freaks you know. But the school offered countless opportunities to develop and hone our innate artistic skills and privileges to guide our academic inclination while offering a holistic environment for complete learning. We had all kinds of clubs that you may think of from dance troupe, drama, to science and history club. Every thing with one single aim - to provide an avenue for expression of talents. 

We had flag-raising ceremony five times a week. So we recite the DCFI Mission Statement five times in a week too: "To develop and nurture a people of principle, virtue, faith, hope and health in a transcultural academic atmosphere of excellence and service." This is a very concise phrase that tells the very purpose of the institution. That time, this wasn't making any sense at all but now that I somehow had a grasp of what the real world is, the true meaning of it is gradually sinking in. These are core universal values that transcend beyond race, religion, and other elements. If you live your life by these, you live your life well. 

Being the oldest educational institution, older than Mindanao State University, the school boasts of countless success stories, maybe a thousand of them already. I am personally indebted to her and all that keeps it alive - the administrators, teachers, canteen workers, librarians, utility workers, etc. I will always look back to the old good days the moments when I was sitting in a bench under that big tree while enjoying the majestic beauty of Lake Lanao in a far end.

If I hadn't been in DC, I wouldn't be where I am right now. It taught me to strive for excellence, find ways to educate myself, and learn as many things I can. It's cheesy? Yes I know but it's true. It's odd when it's the last day of the year and I am writing about my old high school. Am I not supposed to write something about 2013 or the coming year? Weird.

Comments

Popular Posts