2013 is Good Afterall

In the early days of 2013, I remember telling myself to update this blog regularly but as I review the content of this blog, I don't think I have exactly done what I promised. I know for a fact that in every post I write, I have to share fresh ideas and that's exactly the problem. My brain seemed to stood still in this year. No fresh ideas, nothing at all. But since it's the end of the year, I guess it's imperative for me to at least recap and contemplate the things that happened to me. Assess how far have I gone in chasing my dream, the fights I accepted, the triumphs I earned, and the frustrations I met along my way and of course the amazing people I met. 

In the first quarter of this year, my college was coming to its end when I met the greatest frustration in my life. (Laughs) I wasn't exactly sure what I am going to do next once the tassels are turned. The only thing I knew was that in my opinion, I wasn't ready enough to join the labor force nor the teaching force of my university. The significant others of my life were prompting me to go to medical school but I was dropping the idea since I wasn't so sure if I would be able to endure the rigorous medical education. Their main reason was that I am suited for it because I am "smart". I have to say that they got everything wrong. Yes, I graduated with Latin Honor (Alhamdulillah for the blessing) but intellectual preparedness isn't the only consideration. There's emotional preparation too that cannot be taken for granted, you know. 

Since I was so afraid to join the booming group of unemployed Filipinos after graduation, I braced myself with enough courage to actually submit an application to a medical school very far from my place. I was quite confident because I had good grades and NMAT rating. But at the end, I was not able to secure a spot. I was so happy when I called the office and the guy in the other line delivered the bad news. Haha! So I had one single option now, the MS scholarship I applied in Turkey.

Receiving the full MS scholarship in Turkey is my greatest blessing this year. To be given an opportunity to study miles away from home with monthly allowance that more than enough, free accommodation, and health insurance is simply an opportunity I can't resist. Though I will be studying in Turkish, I didn't see it much of a problem. I always have this thought that education transcends beyond language especially in biological science that relies much in experiment. Everything is pretty much same, only that the manner the information are phrased is quite different from what I used to. So I flew here equipped nothing but my desire to increase my knowledge and to gain entirely new life experience that will make me a better person. 

In the application, I expressed my desire to study here because of its unique geographical feature that results to mixed culture of Asia and Europe. Coming here opened an opportunity to widen my perspective by meeting fellow scholars who come from different parts of the world from Africa, Europe, to Latin America to Asia. They were exposed to different environment and thus they bring with them distinctive culture, personalities, and experiences. It's like an open book whose every page has a story that is likely different from the previous and the succeeding.

Prior to coming to Turkey, I received another opportunity to expand more my networks. The ASEAN Youth Volunteer Programme in Malaysia has educated me of environmental challenges the ASEAN community is facing. The 5-week program also convinced me that I can actually become a beneficial member of my community in battling its environmental challenges like deforestation, solid waste management, etc. I met 23 crazy people and stayed with them for three long weeks: The DEW PEOPLE! They were young adults who are making a difference in their respective communities. Chos! Amazing, that's it!

I also tried my luck in a Muslim-sending volunteer organization early this June. I survived the paper screening and was invited to an interview. Five were invited as the first batch of the week-long interview. I was caught in a heavy traffic and (uhm) I left home a bit late so I arrived in their office late. I was surprised when there was only five of us. So the interview went on. I had rehearsed in mind few questions that they may ask while in the road. I was so sure that they will ask what prompted me to apply as a volunteer since the work is quite demanding yet does not much offer big financial feedback. I had my complete answer in mind but when I opened my mouth to finally say what I had rehearsed, something went wrong. I was supposed to use my sister who is a die-hard volunteer as my inspiration (kuno?!!!). But instead, I said "It was NOT my sister who prompted me to consider this option." Right there at the end of my sentence, I realized I have said NOT so I had to take the necessary detour. "It was more of a personal choice. I believe, being a volunteer will open an opportunity for learning," I continued. In that day-long interview, they made us performed several activities that attempt to evaluate our ability to work in a group, following a systematic method, coming up to a unified decision, and the psychological aspects thingy. Alhamdulillah, I qualified for their month-long training but I had to take down the offer since by that time Turkey had already offered me full scholarship.

This year has been good enough. I feel blessed. ALHAMDULILLAH. At the start of this year, I never realized I will be living in a foreign country like I do right now. Life indeed is full of surprises. And who doesn't want surprises, right?!

Comments

Popular Posts