Congratulations to YTB Scholars 2014

Congratulations to all recepients of Turkey Scholarships this year!


For few days now, I have been receiving messages from applicants informing me that they were accepted after a gruesome months-long wait. I am so happy for all of you and I am expecting you to see in Turkey the soonest. I know you waited patiently and there were times that you lost hope, that the acceptance e-mail would never arrive. I was in the same situation too last year. But guess what? Now you're ready to visit the embassy to sign the scholarship agreement any time now and you're so close to flying to Turkey. Does it excite you? Enjoy the moment of your triumph. 

First things first, when you receive an email directing you to visit the nearest consulate or embassy for the signing of your agreement, bring with you your original documents i.e. diploma, transcript, etc and health clearance. The embassy may require you more documents as deemed necessary like in the Philippines, I had to get DFA-certified photocopies of my school cridentials. Then you have to right away start processing your student visa in reasonable price. For government scholars like me, getting a student visa was quite easy.

Now that you have confirmed your acceptance, you will receive more e-mails regarding your dormitory placement, the language center where you will study Turkish for one year, your bank account details, and the most exciting your flight details. Scholars are expected to arrive in Turkey in mid-September or earlier. But before you fly to Turkey, here are few of my tips for you:

1. Learn Basic Turkish. I have to be honest that when I first arrived to Turkey, the only Turkish word I knew was "Gunaydın" or Good Morning in English. I don't know how to say Yes or No, and even express my gratitude through "Thank You." So imagine how hard it was. It felt like I had some kind of speech disbility and I can't express myself. So to help yourself navigate in a foreign country, at least learn the basics such as greetings, asking directions, seeking for help, or anything you deemed would be handy right after you land. Say you are looking for your dormitory and you don't know how. To call the attention of anyone near to you, you say "Bakar mısınız?" then follow it up with "Bir şey sorabilir miyim?" which means "Can I ask a question?" Then there you go, you just have your first ever close encounter with a Turkish. "Bu adresi gitmek istiyorum? Biliyor musun nasıl? " (I want to go to this address. Do you know how?) And of course, that Turkish would speak like as if you exactly know the language and you won't understand him. You'll probably stare him in plain amazement. But don't worry. Stop him before your brain bleed out to your ears by saying "Biraz yavaş konuşabilir misin? Ben Türkçe çok az biliyorum." (Can you speak slower? I know Turkish very little.) But if you still don't understand, say "Anlamadım." which simple translates to "I didn't understand." Then make a face that says "I badly need help. Please help me." Who knows that guy may just deliver you right in the doorsteps of your dorm. This may save you from being lost. Then don't forget to thank those people who helped you by saying "Teşekkür ederim."

2. Make friends through social media. Facebook, twitter, instagram have become a major part of our everyday life. Use these outlets to make friends. There is quite a number of Facebook pages starting from International Student Association in Turkey (ISAT) to regionalized pages of scholars in Ankara, Bursa, Izmir, etc. Contact some page members who are also placed in same city. Who knows they might offer you to welcome you at the airport, bus station, or at the pier. You won't be worrying anymore on getting lost in a place who speak an alien language. I wished I did this. When I landed in Istanbul, I had no one to ask where to go next. My luggage was misplaced by the airline company and I was wearing a thin long-sleeved sweatshirt that cannot even protect me from the blowing cold wind of autumn. I was shivering to be exact and my phone's battery is close to 2%. I was like I am doomed! The only good thing was I arrived early morning around 4:30AM. If it was evening, I don't know how I could make it through the night. Nonetheless, make friends through social media. 😁

3. Multiple copies. Have multiple copies of your documents i.e. diploma, transcript, passport just in case you'll be needing them when you apply for bus card and residence permit. Of course, there are photocopy services here but to reduce the hassle, better to be prepared always. Also multiple mag-shot 2x2 pictures is necessary almost everywhere in the dorm, in the university when you register, in other places. 


This is enough for now. Congratulations again and I hope to see you in Turkey!

Comments

  1. Thank you for this important information. I'll be in Ankara.

    I was wondering, what is the best currency to carry? Dollars/pounds? Another thing, where is the best place to change the foreign currency to the local one-the airport Forex bureaus or banks?

    Roughly how much should I carry to sustain me before I receive the first scholarship stipend? How much does the residence permit cost?

    Best books to buy that would help me with learning Turkish language?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Dollars would be fine. Exchange offices in the airport is a bit expensive. Better to exchange money outside the airport. 300 USD is enough for your first month and the residence permit cost has decreased tremendously. İt will cost you only 20 USD. Regarding the books, your language center will provide you references.

      Delete
  2. Hallo i would like to ask a bout the quesionaire sent by scholarahip after . is it true that when u say u didnt like the department and course u are cancelled

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I'm done with everything, and now heading to class, yet I haven't receieved any email guiding me through: bank account, insurance, and the flight ticket refund process since I paid it, do you have any idea?

    And is the Istanbul Kart supposed to be indirmli or ücretsiz? Also should I head to Karaköy with only the papers from the university or shall I wait for an email proving that I'm a scholarship student for the Transportation Card?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts