On Marawi's Militarization


On Marawi's Militarization
By Cyrollah Disoma



WHEN the news came out that President Duterte has plans of constructing a 400-M military base at my city, a brave Meranao woman whom I admire so much for her intelligence instantly expressed her disagreement, citing that such action would not be beneficial for the Meranao people. Few vocal youth activists also joined the call to stop such plan. I remained silent. I refuse to join the online discourse over the matter because I feel like I have no enough argument.

One thing must be clear. I am no supporter of the current administration. I've lost all my hope along with the many bombs dropped at ground zero many months ago. The claim that militarization would prevent any future extremist ideology resurfacing in the besieged city seems out of the picture. I don't think that it answers and will answer the perennial peace and order problem in this part of the country. Rather, it may even attract the unwanted response.

Why militarization is not the solution? To answer this, we need to put the issue in context. And history will give light to this. There has been historical injustices not only to the Meranaos, but to the whole Filipino Muslims. Yes, there has been no effective means to respond to this repeating issue of historical and social injustice. Emphasis should be given to word "effective". We cannot deny that there has been some programs of the government in the past that attempt to bridge the gap between this part of the country to the mainstream Philippines. One good example is the establishment of MSU to offer affordable education to Muslims and indigenous peoples. Yet, through the years, we still hear the same battlecry: social justice, inclusive development, equal opportunities and many others. Our forefathers had the same, now their grandchildren still speak for the same thing.

My attention was caught by an editorial cartoon that hughlights the projected difference between what's inside the camp from what's outside. Initially, I couldn't understand how the camp would create such a stark difference. In my mind, I saw the illustration overly represented. In the inside, there are great infrastructures and swimming pool. Life at its best, indeed. Beyond the walls of the camp are poor starving Meranaos living in nipa houses. Then, I wonder if such scenario would ever come alive, should the plan materialize. But the possibility is always in my mind. It may indeed happen.

There has been a cultural change within Meranao society and militarization of the city will expedite such phenomenon. I understand that culture is dynamic; that is, traditions and customs change over time. But I believe that that are customs and traditions that should not be altered and should be carried to many succeeding generations.

I am in the teaching profession. It is among my professional goals to educate my students to societal issues that matter. I want them to leave the school's premises with the courage to take active roles in building our nation, even if it means going against some government decisions. This is not a call for an uprising or rally. This is me expressing my personal stand on the matter. I SAY NO TO MILITARIZATION.

Comments

Popular Posts