Si Manong Taxi Driver

I have this weird habit of launching an on-the-spot talk show with the most unexpected person – a taxi driver. After arriving from Malaysia last week, I took the taxi from the airport to Quiapo where there are cheap rooms for rent. The daily rent ranges from 200php to 700php depending on the facilities of the room you avail. This part of Metro Manila seems like my hometown. A lot of Meranaos are flocking in Quiapo, sort of busy area. 

I have to admit that I love talking to common people those who are always neglected by the majority. I always start my interview with a mood-setting question, “Kamusta naman po ang kita niyo araw-araw?” (How’s your daily income?) This is my usual question which I certainly know their response. “Mahirap! Kulang na kulang,” said the taxi driver disappointed and as I expected. (Difficult! It’s not enough.) The driver is a good-looking young adult, aged 35, married for 5 years, and has a son. In that trip, we talked about his life peppered with political issues.

“Yung mga politiko na yan, parang barya lang sa kanila ang milyon.” (Those politicians, it’s like a million is just a coin.) At this stage of our conversation, he was expressing his outright displeasure to politicians involved in the Pork Barrel Scam. He used foul language, expressing his intense hate. I saw in his eyes the feeling of having been cheated. This poor fella controlling the steering wheel appears to blame the buwaya (crocodile) politicians who take money from the public treasury. “E, ganun po talaga eh. May mga tao po talagang walang prinsipyo sa buhay,” I said trying to make him feel less bitter. (That’s really what it is. There people who do not have principles in life.) There was silence.

I threw one more question, now trying not to venture into something serious like the pork barrel scam. “Mga anong oras po ba kayo nagbabyahe?” (What time do you set off for trip?). This driver like most of the millions low-pay workers is a responsible and hardworking family head. He starts off his engine before dawn, skip meals or even cigarette breaks, then goes back home very late at night. This is a type of lifestyle so challenging that anyone who does not have strong motivation will eventually give up. My admiration to this young father grew higher as we talk more. “Iba na kasi pag may pamilya kang dapat suportahan. Kailangan mo talagang magtrabaho kasi pag-tumambay ka lang, walang kakainin pamilya mo,” he said. (It’s different when you have family to support. You have to work because if you don’t your family has nothing to eat.) 

He asked me as to what am I doing in Manila. I told him that I am from Mindanao. “Naiintindihan ko po sitwasyon nyo kasi kahit ako di rin galing sa mayaman na pamilya. Katulad nyo rin ako, pag di kumayod yung tatay ko e di wala rin kami makakain,” I replied. (I understand your situation because I too am not from a rich family. If my father does not work, we too have nothing to eat.) He seemed curious about my big luggage and finally he asked me whether I am going abroad to work. “Ah hindi po. Kagagaling ko lang po sa Malaysia. Magsa-stay muna ako dito para ayusin yung mga papers ko papuntang Turkey. Doon po kasi ako mag-aaral.” (Ah no. I just arrived from Malaysia. I will stay here to fix some papers I need to go to Turkey. I will study there.) At this point, he talked about how he regretted not earning a degree. If only he had a diploma, he is not a taxi driver by now and probably has a more decent les-stressing job. Trying to comfort his gloomy spirit, I responded “Ah kuya, igihan nyo na lang ang pagtatrabaho para sa anak nyo para makatuntong siya sa college.” (Big brother, just strive harder in your job for your son so that you can send him to college.) But my statement appeared not to sound so loud and clear. As it seems, this young driver knows exactly how cruel life is. “Kahit siguro magtrabaho ako ng magtrabaho, di pa rin aasenso.” (Even I keep on working and working, I will not be able to succeed.) His pessimistic view of life was so crystal clear to me. I cannot blame him for I know to some extent, even someone keeps on working, their hard work doesn’t usually pay back. Not surprisingly, that’s a sad reality in a third-world developing country.

I made an effort to brighten up his blurry vision by setting myself as an example. “Kuya, kaya yan. E ako nga, nag-aral ako sa pampublikong university bilang scholar. May mga schools po na mura.” (Big bro, you can do it. I studied at a public university as scholar. There are cheap schools.) But my attempt was unsuccessful. “E matalino ka kasi. Yung anak ko sa public school nag-aaral ngayon. Alam mo nman pag-public school, hindi maayos. Malabo na makakuha ng scholarship ang mga galing sa public school,” he rebutted. (Coz you are smart. But my son studies in a public school. And you know how public school is ran, not so good. It’s unclear if students from public school can win a scholarship.) Apparently, he is also aware of the poor status of education in the country. There was an awkward silence. I cannot say any word anymore the fact that he knows exactly the reality the way I see it too.

“Muslim kayo?” he blurted. (Are you Muslim) “Oo, Muslim ako, Meranao,” I responded. (Yes, I am a Muslim. Meranao.) I know exactly where this conversation may end up considering the recent armed conflict in Zamboanga. “Ah, kayo yung mga business-minded,” he added. I smiled. Then he made a disturbing remark about Tausog. “Ang rinig ko yung mga Tausog daw matatapang kasi kumakain sila ng tenga ng tao,” he said. (I heard Tausog are brave because they eat human ear.) I was laughing in my mind. What a major disinformation! Where on Earth he got this weird information! Although I heard this before, but I certainly don’t think so that Tausog are so brave because they eat human ear. I indeed claimed that Tausog are really brave men. The atmosphere inside the taxi was different now. I saw in him that there is a major false image of Muslims he carries in his mind, the usual belief of people who never had a chance to closely interact with Muslims. Blame the media. “Mababait naman kaming mga Muslims,” I finally answered. (We Muslims are good people.) 

This taxi driver, a young adult trying to meet both ends for his family, is now a person I will always remember. May life be so kind to him and his family. :)

Comments

Popular Posts